Sunday, June 12, 2011

The Baby List - Medical - the First Three Months

There is a bunch of random stuff that you need or may need that you never think of (at least I never did).
I thought I would split it up, if you stock up on this stuff little by little, you won't notice the money seeping away.

The infa red thermometer ***Spend Money Here*** These are worth their weight in gold, all the Mommas in the neighbourhood borrow mine.  This allows you to take temperatures instantly without having to struggle or wake the sleeping cherub.  Get it!!

Why? Babies get fevers all the time for no apparent reason, they're just out of sorts, and you have to keep a close eye on it because fevers can be very serious in a small infant.  I never knew how many viruses were floating around until I had children.

The Braun seems to be the most popular model, and can be purchased from your local chemist for around $100.  Mine was about $60 and the brand is Microlife, it is Swiss design and was also from my local chemist.  I love it, and wish I had bought this straight away instead of the dodgy little digital thing I had.

Panadol for infants.  You don't know when you'll need it, just keep it in the cupboard, as you would rather have it than not.

Finger Nail Scissors or clippers for infants.  Pack this one in your hospital bag.  Both my girls were born with extra long fingernail and you know how babies love to scratch themselves.

Humidifier - this one is purely incase of illness.  If bubba gets a cold, you MUST have a humidifier.  When you can't give them medication, this is a life saver and helps clear their nose and their chest.  You can even ad a few drops of oil (Eucalyptus/thyme) to a small reserve which warms the oil.

I purchased mine from my chemist and still use it today.  A REALLY good buy!!  My brand is 'Hippo', but I've seen smaller cuter ones around.

Fess Little Noses - this is another one for the chemist.  There are a couple of brands on the market, but they are disgusting and fantastic little contraptions/extractors that allows you to suck the snot out of your little cherubs nose... (Hey its preferential to the formerly used sucking it into your mouth technique - not joking).  Get it from your chemist and add it to your medicine cabinet.  About $12 I think.

A word on monitors.
Breathing Monitors and baby monitors may be great, I've never used them, thank god, I think it would've just made me even MORE obsessive about whether the baby was still breathing.  Very good idea if you have an upstairs downstairs.  And they cost lots of money...I'd rather eat pizza.

No comments:

Post a Comment