Thursday, June 9, 2011

New Underwear NOW!! - this is your permission slip

From around five months of pregnancy the uncomfortable becomes palpable rather than subtle, its that time....NEW UNDIES!!  First pregnancy I thought that of course I can get through with normal underpants...no my dear, don't even bother.

G Strings become...not so practical or comfortable.  But, there are fantastic maternity undies out there, and with so many Momma businesses out there there are heaps of comfortable and practical options.
Motherhood Low Slung Knickers (Comfy)
I was in the USA last time I was pregnant so I just went to Motherhood.  You can go to Destination Maternity and buy maternity wear anywhere in the world.  The undies I got was a multipack of cotton hip huggers see here...

The other question you may have as your boobies expand (or not) may be, isn't it stupid to by a nursing bra at this early stage??  Answer is: No.  If you're going to buy a bra you might as well make it one you can keep using.

Criteria for bras is that they are to have no underwire, not that the pro booby Mommas don't want you to have a sexy upper profile, but that the underwire sits on top of many of the mammary glands and can help create blockages and damage tissue.  Saying that it is not a life or death decision, but the no underwire is 'comfy' a theme you will become very fond of in this journey.

Due to the limited range of Maternity Underwear that can be found in department stores in Sydney, I shop online at Zodee.com they have HUGE range of maternity underwear, when I had my first bubba there was only a few, in the last three years there has been a welcome explosion of Maternity Labels, and they are fashionable and sexy!! Love them.  Here are my picks:

Bendon Maternity Nursing Bra




BENDON
Great brand, this is the Bendon Lingerie Maternity Nursing Bra. It comes in standard colours (white, skin tone, black).  This is a dainty pretty little nursing/maternity bra.  More suited for smaller cup sizes as it is not very supportive bra for a larger cup size.  Very light and sexy feeling though.

Elle Macpherson Maternelle 


ELLE MACPHERSON INTIMATES
The all time favourite and MOST COMFORTABLE BRA - Elle Macpherson's Maternelle Maternity Bra.  This bra comes in four colours white, black, pink and lilac.  It has no seams to run across your nipple and annoy the hell out of you.  This bra is awesome, I've never met a Momma that didn't love this bra.

This is a must for every Momma to be... (you can get this one at Myer and David Jones).

There are some other beautiful styles from Elle Macpherson.  Very sensual and lovely for a smaller cup size.  Perfect for you my pretty girl :-)

HOTMILK
Awesome brand.  Beautiful underwear, really great fabrics and designs, not the standard run of the mill.  Very often on sale as well.  I found heaps of it a Tradesecret a store near me that sells excess stock.
I bought a bra and undie set from them last bubba.  I still wear the french knickers today.  I really liked them.  The only criticism I had was the lace used started pilling after several washes.

New Beginnings U Grow Bra
THE NIGHT BRA - NEW BEGINNINGS
Oh, yes, more of the fun of nursing, you need to wear a bra at night time (unless you want to sleep with a towel on your chest - which may become an option).  You want a bra that feels like its not there, New Beginnings was my solution.  I had the feeding bra, which was awesome just enough to hold the nursing pads on, and was great to get you through engorgement (when the milk first comes in).

Special mention to Loveable, who do fantastic well priced and increasingly stylish maternity bras, Bonds have recently started there 'Bumps' range.  I had a singlet of theirs which was great, but, their bras and such are aimed more at a smaller cup size, so I never used them... check it out!


SIZING
Generally speaking a woman goes up one to two sizes during pregnancy/nursing.  The best guide that I've heard is fit yourself comfortably around the band, and in the cups you should be able to fit one hand as well as your breast, that way you know you have room to expand when the milk comes in.

HOW MUCH UNDERWEAR DO I NEED?
Well you know how many undies you need in a normal week, but keep in mind you are (shut your ears boys) bleeding like you have your period for up to six weeks after birthing, so keep those ugly briefs you were going to throw out for this 'special' time.

Bras, I recommend you have at least three and a night bra, this will get you by for sure.  Remember, it is only for a short time, don't spend a fortune, but to spend enough to make yourself happy.  It's the least you can do when you feel festy!

No comments:

Post a Comment