Saturday, July 30, 2011

The baby List - Wipes and Creams - the First Three Months and forever more

I have no time to do this but what the hell... I've already used every other excuse to avoid study and cleaning, so lets use this one too.

Baby Wipes
Baby wipes are the life blood of every mother young and old.  Wipes ARE NOT ecologically friendly in the usual sense of the word, but they really are when they prevent poo, chocolate, honey or any other mystery stickiness which will then destroy your environment and sense of security little by little.  How, well when you have already cleaned the house and you touch a door knob that is sticky...hmmm...and you don't know what it is.  This moment could have been prevented by the simple wipe.

Don't be fooled, not all wipes are created equal, which you will discover if you are wiping a particularly stinky and sticky nappy and your finger goes clear through the wipe, only sink into the glacial river of pooiness that you were trying to erase.  See! You thought you were SO clever when you save that $1.50 on those homebrand wipes. Now for days after you've cut your nails to the quick and scrubbed and scrubbed but you still can't erase that thin brown line from under your nail, or stop smelling that faint smell of poo whenever you put your finger next to your nose.

I have the following commentary and in depth discussion on the many brands of wipes.  I haven't tried them all, but I can tell you about the few I have tried.

#1st Guideline - NO FRAGRANCE!!  Fragrance is not good for you, and it is definitely not good for baby.  Like all skin care, try to go no alcohol, no parabens, no sodium lauryl sulfate.  It's not always possible, but it's great if you can do it.

Clearly Herbal - @ Ecobabe
My Favourite Wipe - Clearly Herbal
These ones are everything free (except the wipes themselves unfortunately).  I only tried them with the last baby, and wished that I had found them before.  They are gorgeous, thick enough, there is something gorgeous about the texture, good smell and just enough moisture.  They work really well.  I am just really sorry that I have never seen them retail anywhere but online.  You can get them for $7.95/80 wipes, which is quite expensive especially after postage, but I think if you can afford it, I really enjoyed them as a product.  (I'll shout you a pack!! - not everyone, just J - sorry)

Nature Care Baby Wipes
My Most Used - Nature Care Baby Wipes
Nature Care Baby, is really a lovely all round brand.  Developed by a Swedish environmentalist mother, it really does embrace all the values I love in a product and a company.

The best thing about these wipes is that they are available in all supermarkets in Australia and they retail for a price comparable to other less environmentally conscious brands.

As a wipe they are a great thickness, not too much or too little liquid, and they don't have any nasties in them.  All round good thing for me.
Note: Nature Care Baby Nappies and nappy disposal bags are great too.  I haven't used any of their other products so I can't speak to it.


Other Wipes
Curash, Huggies, Johnson and Johnson are all brands that I have used from time to time.  Huggies, get their fragrance free sensitive wipes, they're really thick but they have a WHOLE lot of liquid on them.  Johnson and Johnson, once again, get the fragrance free.  Curash are probably the best of the lot, they have a soap free and fragrance free variety, sometimes they have good specials.

Mamia from Aldi are fine also, they are quite thin, but sufficient if you're not dealing with big poos.  So are both Coles and Woolworths wipes, but as a rule I don't buy supermarket brands as I do believe they're driving the little man out of business.

Gaia were really beautiful in smell and the idea, but as with most bamboo products, they hold a huge amount of liquid.  So firstly I found Gaia wipes too wet, the next thing that annoyed the !@#$ out of me was that they stuck together really badly; in fact this sticking annoyed me so much that I didn't buy them any more than twice.

Wipe Tips

  • My childbirth educator said something great.  "Buy a pack of wipes, choose a patch of skin, and wipe it all day on and off with the baby wipe, just notice how much residue accumulates".  When at home buy a heap of cheap face washers and just use water, or water with a bit of bicarbonate of soda. (Great advice)
  • Buy the Huggies packs in the plastic containers, the large and a few of the travel size, that way you can just use the containers over and over again.  I've had the same Huggies containers for the past 5 years and they're still going!
Nappy Creams and Balms
There is a infinite amount of nappy creams and balms out there on the market, I haven't even made a dent in trying them all.  But, I know you'll feel me on my recommendation.

Lucas Paw Paw Ointment
I feel like there's nothing else I need to say about that... but I will.  Yes our beloved Lucas Pawpaw Ointment that we've been using on our lips for decades now is THE BEST!!  That's all I use, I tried a few others, but really none of them hold a candle to this one.

I use it as a night time barrier cream and as a nappy rash cream, the rash is always gone in the morning.  My Aunt who had five children used it on them, and they had the most sensitive skin (she was washing with soap flakes for them).  It is cheap (buy the $25 barrel) and it lasts for ages.  Love, love, love this product!

Cowboys & Itchy Bums Barrier Balm
Other Nappy Creams - Natural
Gaia has some beautiful creams, you need something thick for under the nappy, I always found their lotion to be quite thick and give quite good coverage.

My number one baby skincare brand is definitely Bod for Babies, I'll talk about more of their products later, but their 'bum spray' is unnecessary but special.  And they have a special barrier balm Cowboys and Itchy Bums Barrier Balm, I love all their products.  I want to buy you all of them!!

It is only available through limited sources now, sometimes it is in the health store, if not try Green Organics.

Other Nappy Creams - Not So Natural
Bepanthen is my one and only.  This is an awesome cream, it works when other creams won't.  It lasts forever as you only need the smallest amount, and just keep it around for when your little one starts scraping those knees (or for your partner if he falls over in the delivery suite).  You can get it at your local supermarket.

Nappy Sacks
Yes you need heaps of these.  I love the eco, eco versions but in all honesty I can hardly afford them.  I just buys Nappy Sacks on the whole (find them in your local supermarket).  There is a pack of 200 sitting in my shopping bags right now.  They come in those handy packs, smell good (which is of the upmost importance) and cost around $5 for 200.  That's it.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment